Monday; March 12


          When the teenagers from our church went bowling the other night, I thought I would go along with them ... after all, what could it hurt, right?  (Hang on to that thought for a moment, we’ll return to it.)  I used to bowl in league several times a month and, while I wasn’t the best bowler on the team, I did okay.  Well, that was then and this is now.  What began as a fun-filled night turned into some frustration and a lot of aches.  First of all, my mind knew what to do but my body was uncooperative.  I think my first roll was a gutter ball and, even though things got better, I constantly found myself intellectually knowing what to do, but physically unable to do it.  About mid-way through the second game I began to feel the physical strains.  By the end of the second game my fingers were hurting and when we finished the third game I was dragging – which turned into aching later that night and into the next day.  It is embarrassing to say that I wore myself out bowling, but that’s the truth!
          As I thought about my bowling experience I was reminded of life.  I think I had bowled twice in the last ten years and it showed.  When I bowled regularly I was more fit for the task and was more productive, but doing it once in a blue moon rendered me inept.  That is exactly what happens when neglect the basic tenets of Christianity.  When we pray, forgive, serve or study on a regular basis it comes easily; but when we routinely ignore these activities it takes more thought and effort to do what we have been called to do.  Simple Christian disciplines are more productive when they performed daily. 
          Are we in good spiritual shape?  If not, lets develop a good working routine so that we get back in the game.
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6