Friday; March 9


I recently accompanied my granddaughters to a water park.  Now, a superficial reading of the above statement seems to be a rather innocent (and even fun) revelation, but let me fill in the blanks.  Along with hundreds of strangers, I swam, picked-up and carried two girls, climbed three flights of stairs (a half dozen times), got on and off a tube dozens of times, climbed more flights of stairs, pitched a seven and eight year old into the pool, got dunked several times, had water shoot up my nose, rode and got thrown off a body surfing ride, traversed a rope bridge, got dumped on by a huge bucket of water and climbed a few more flights of stairs in a building that was heated to 82 degree and contained 100% humidity!  Yep, that about covers it.  Let’s just say at the end of the day I was beat!  As I walked out of the facility I was feeling a little guilty about not doing a workout until I took an inventory of my body – I may not have done a formal exercise routine, but I got a workout!
I believe that, often, we may not see the value in unstructured activity.  Take for example, community service.  Often, when we think of community service we envision being involved in some formal outreach program with a lot of other people that bears a nifty name.  While this type of neighborly outreach is great, it isn’t the only way we can help people.  Sure it is fun to be involved in Habitat For Humanity or Christmas In April, but we can also demonstrate brotherly love by quietly fixing our aging neighbor’s leaky sink or dropping off a couple of boxes of food at the women’s shelter on our way home from the grocery store.  Our efforts don’t have to have a formal name – all it needs is a caring heart. 
Is there something we can do to ease a burden?  Let’s not wait until someone “formally” sanctions it, let’s get to work and do it!
Think about it!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Thursday; October 19