Friday; December 22

When I look back on the Christmases of my youth I have some very fond memories.  We always had presents under a tree and we were often able to spend the holidays with family.  We had a few White Christmases, but more often than not the “white” was beach sand rather than snow.  As I look back I do recall a few disappointments – such as waking upon on Christmas morning and NOT finding a 1978 Trans Am parked in the driveway.  (One time I was given a new car for Christmas … it was a plastic car wrapped up and placed under the tree – I was not amused.)  In retrospect, when I was disappointed during the holiday season it was because I wished for something that I should not have expected.  The thing that set me up for disappointment was me, not the circumstances that presented themselves.
I believe that when we, as adults, feel the stress and disappointment this time of year it is often because we “over-expect”.  After years of family conflict at the Christmas meal, we hope (or a better word might be “wish”) for peace and tranquility only to be disappointed when the same old arguments erupt.  When we expect a Christmas Bonus after a lean year, we have ourselves to blame when feel disappointed that it doesn’t happen.  When we are certain that this will be the year our prodigal child returns home, it is our expectation that sets us up for discouragement.
Let’s hold out hope for what we would like to have happen for the holidays, but be aware that things do not always meet our dreams.  It is okay to feel melancholy when things don’t work out – just remember that a mild dose of reality can help us prepare for the disappointments.
Think about it! 

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Thursday; October 19