Wednesday; October 25

When I was younger I loved the fall because I knew that the frigid weather of winter was right around the corner.  I really enjoyed the cold and snow, so the sooner we got to it the better.  In fact when the autumn temperatures were warmer than usual, I almost felt cheated.  Now, after spending several years in some pretty cold climates, rarely do I feel shortchanged by warm weather.  In fact, the longer we can put off the cold the better I like it.  I guess as my life ages, my perspective changes.
When I was younger there were several Bible passages that challenged me.  One was found in the New Testament book of Philippians, “For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.”. (Philippians 1:21-24)  How could anyone be more anxious to leave this life than to live it?  How could someone wrestle with the choice of going home to be with Christ and staying here to do some good – aren’t we compelled to keep fighting as long as we can?  Yet, the older I get the more I am beginning to appreciate Paul’s perspective.  I am not sure that I am all the way with him now, but I can see a day when his prayer might become mine.  Like anyone I am looking forward to an eternity with God and, now more than at any other time in my life, the thought of this reward becoming a reality is less fearful.  As my life has changed, so has my perspective.
Are we preparing our lives so that, one day, we can be excited about what the future beyond this life holds for us?  None of us has a promise for tomorrow, so we had better be giving it some thought.  In essence, I am not saying that we have to be anxiously awaiting death (and judgment), but we’d better be prepared for it.
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6