Tuesday; October 3

          Through the years I have been called upon to try to find the words that are fitting for some pretty somber occasions.  During funerals, I have searched for ways to console families who have lost a loved one much too soon.  I have stood on the front porch in the darkness of the early morning hours holding the news of a tragic death in my hands knowing that the words of a death notification were about to change a person’s life forever.  I have tried to find the words to bring peace to co-workers in the midst of tragedy.  I have stood up in front of congregations and tried to bring peace in the aftermath of a bomb planted in the Federal Building in Oklahoma City or the flying bombs that ripped apart our nation on September 11 2001.  In a sense, a part of my ministry has been about finding the right words.  Now, as I look at my computer keyboard in the wake of Sunday night’s tragedy in Las Vegas, I am dry – I’ve got nothing.  I can’t explain what happened (other than to credit satan with another victory in the battle between good and evil).  I can’t explain “why” someone would do something this irrational.  Right now, about the best I can do is offer platitudes and that just seems so superficial.
          I am tired of the senseless waste of life.  I am fed-up with trying to understand how humans can treat one another this way.  I am sick of all the misery we are bringing on ourselves and tired of all the hatred we are dumping into the world!  
          As I reflected on the events that have unfolded over the last couple of days there is one significant word that comes to mind – weariness.  Interestingly enough, when I came upon that word “weariness” something struck a chord with me.  Jesus promised, “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)  No, these words of Jesus don’t make everything all right, but they do give me hope that in the midst of despair Someone cares about all of us – and, specifically, Someone Special cares about me. 
          I hope that you have been able to find the words that are able to inspire you more than me at this moment.  Maybe you found just the right thought to help you cope.  Yet, if you haven’t, maybe you can join me in finding a bit of a respite from the weariness of this chaotic world in the loving arms and through the comforting words of our Savior and Sustainer.
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6