Thursday; October 19

When the Wise Sage of the Old Testament began to teach about wisdom he personified the concept and offered this admonition, “How long, O naive ones, will you love being simple-minded?  And scoffers delight themselves in scoffing and fools hate knowledge?  Turn to my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you.” (Proverbs 1:22-23)  As I read this passage I got to thinking about all the people who have weighed in on modern social issues.  There are many people who have a lot of things to say – but, just how wise are they?  It isn’t the loudness of the voice that makes a difference it is the deepness of the thought.  When we hear someone chime in on something, we must investigate their background to determine the wisdom of their thought.
A little later in this section Solomon issues wisdom’s warning, “Then they will call on me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently but they will not find me, because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the Lord.  They would not accept my counsel, they spurned all my reproof.  So they shall eat of the fruit of their own way and be satiated with their own devices. For the waywardness of the naive will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them.”. (Proverbs 1:28-32)  Let’s be cautious about the voices we follow.  Wisdom is a tough taskmaster who will hold us accountable for the direction we choose.  Wisdom can lead us to greater heights while folly and foolishness can lead us into ruin.
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6