Monday; September 18

I love the Tropics!  I have often joked that I feel like I was born on some tropical island, but a young married couple from the States must have stolen me away to be their own son.  I really enjoy visiting the Caribbean islands and south Florida and have often dreamed of living on a beach listening to the palm trees being swayed by the tropical breezes while the gentle surf breaks just a few steps away.  I relish my fantasies of living in an island paradise, but like everyone else, last week was a reminder of the reality of what can happen.  Island life is tenuis at best, in fact, it can be dangerous.  Many of the places that I have enjoyed visiting are now struggling – some to the point that they may not return to their glory during my lifetime.  Paradise on earth is fragile.
As I watched the events of last week, I was struck by two thoughts – my heart was breaking as I saw the devastation, but I was also reminded of our need to stay focused on the future.  Everything on this earth will eventually be destroyed so we have to make sure that we prepare ourselves for eternity.  When Jesus taught about life on earth He noted, “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”. (Matthew 6:19-21)  We must remember that whether we are intrigued by money, possessions or places, they are all temporary.  The only thing that will last is a relationship with our Creator and Savior.
Are we ready to endure the storms of life?  Let’s put our hope in an eternal reward – everything else is just marking time until it will be destroyed.
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6