Tuesday; August 13

There will be a lot of young people heading off to school in the next couple of weeks.  Some of them will be going back to their local school houses while others will be venturing out on a new journey.  Some will be moving up a grade, others will be heading into a new building while others will be traveling hundreds of miles away beginning their college career.  As I look back on those times when I made similar changes (especially when I moved away from home) I recall the blend of emotions.  On one hand I was excited about the new adventure, then on the other hand, I had a fear of the unknown.  I recall being given good solid advice by my parents about what to expect, but one of the most important lessons that left home with me was the importance of my religion.  I had been raised in a Christian home and, even though I didn’t get a long detailed sermon as I headed off to school, I was confident that what I had been taught would help me be successful.  It wasn’t necessarily the advice I was given that gave me assurance, it was the life I had been taught that provided me a solid foundation.

I realize that proverbs are just that – principles of guidance, not necessarily infallible certainties.  So, when we are reminded, “Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.” (Proverbs 22:6) we don’t have a 100% guarantee that children who come from a good home will live good lives but we can have confidence that it can happen.  Interestingly, this isn’t just a reminder for parents to raise their children right, it is also a reminder to our children that if they rely upon the lessons they have been taught, they will have a pretty good start to life. 

As we send our children out into the world – and as they venture out on a challenging new journey – let’s all trust that they aren’t going to be all alone.  The lessons and the legacies of preceding generations can be the stepping stones to the success of the up-and-comers.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday; November 29

Thursday; January 12

Monday; September 25