Thursday; June 13

If Lou Gehrig is known for anything, it would be for being a winner. Gehrig was an incredible baseball player back in the 1920’s and 1930’s. He has a career .340 batting average, a .447 on base percentage, 493 home runs and 1995 runs batted in (despite often hitting behind Babe Ruth). He played in 2130 consecutive games and is in the baseball Hall of Fame. The guy was a gamer on the ball field, but maybe his greatest encounter was as he battled ALS (what has become known as Lou Gehrig’s disease). “The Iron Horse” would eventually die of the disease, but he didn’t go without a fight! I have grown up with legacy of this superstar, so I was rather intrigued when I read this quote, “I love to win; but I love to lose almost as much. I love the thrill of victory, and I also love the challenge of the defeat.”. It took me a couple of takes, but I think I understand the sentiment – it was being in the “game” that drove him. The thrill was in the contest – win or lose. Winning produces endorphins, losing provides experience.

As I thought about Lou Gehrig I was reminded of another competitor, the Apostle Paul. Paul had some incredible victories and some indescribable failures, but he kept moving forward. As he faced the end of his life he reflected, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.” (II Timothy 4:7-8). The thing that makes a winner isn’t necessarily the number of victories; but the willingness to keep competing.

Are you struggling to deal with losses in your life? Just remember to keep your eyes focused on the prize. Good things can only happen when we lace up our sneakers and head out to the field of play.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday; November 29

Thursday; January 12

Monday; September 25