Monday; May 8

I may sound a little bit like George Carlin here but why do they call it “the news” when it is the same old thing day after day? Throughout my lifetime I have watched as the way the news is reported has changed – not just the technology but how the tenner has changed in the 21st Century. Now, please don’t think that I am naïve enough to believe that what I grew up listening to was the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth (in other words – news without spin or commentary), but I do think that 24 hour a day media outlets need to package their product so people will come back time and again. Once again, please don’t think I have an agenda – I really don’t care which outlet you watch, but I would like to offer a few warnings to protecting ourselves from being overly (and overtly) influenced by news coverage:

1. Watch/listen/read to be informed of what is happening, not just to have your beliefs reinforced. Be aware of the differences between reporting on events and commenting on the news. I understand the desire to deepen our positions, but be aware of the difference between facts and propaganda.

2. Be cautious when one outlet reports on another. Years ago, a big warning sign was when a station would tout how good they were by dragging out their awards. Now the cool thing seems to be to condemn how bad the other outlet(s) is by spotlight their failures. News should be about those making it, not those covering it.

3. Understand that not everyone sees the world the way you see it. Yes, there are good people who watch the other station. There are caring people who don’t choose to watch the news at all. We mustn’t allow our entertainment preference overshadow our interactions with real, live people.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6