Wednesday; March 29

When I was a youngster and had a bad day – or a series of bad days – the joke was that I was going to run away and join the circus. I have grown older and am not all that fond of circuses, so my response to difficulties these days is that I am going to run away and buy my own island. The issue to this sort of problem-solving (other than all the good islands are either take or unaffordable) is that wherever I go, I am there. In essence, I can run away from a lot of things, but I can’t run away from my personality. Wouldn’t it be easier to change the way I look at life (and the way I actually live it) than to try to hide from my problems?

I remember a song I used to hear when I was a younger that encouraged, “Brighten The Corner Where You Are”. The moral of the song was that we all have the opportunity to reflect positivity – but our influence starts inside us and emanates from within our small area of influence. Our impact may not be expansive, but it is real. Even if we don’t change the world, we can change our lives and that will make us happy and productive.

When we find ourselves looking to run away from our concerns, let’s take a look inside us and – rather than changing locations – let’s change our attitudes. When we are able to do that, we’ll not only influence the people around us, we’ll change the restless person inside us.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6