Tuesday; March 21

As former President Jimmy Carter’s days on earth appear to be coming to an end, it is appropriate to go back and consider his legacy. Honestly, I am not as inclined to look at his political record as I am what he has done for his fellow man. Governor Carter’s rise to the White House was rapid – almost overnight – but since then he has dedicated decades to tasks with people in mind.

The other day I came across a quote of his that struck me, “We must adjust to changing times and still hold to unchanging principles.”. Honestly, the minute I read these remarks, I found myself right back in a self-struggle I had been wrestling with for a while. I will be the first to admit that I like traditions – I like what I like and I like to do what I like to do. Yet, just because I like things done a certain way doesn’t mean that is only way they could or should be done. Like President Carter, I believe there are certain “unchanging principles”, but those are fewer and further between than what we would like to think. There are many more situations that are gray than are strictly black and white. Interestingly, when we are able to accept differences of opinions with grace, it makes our lines in the sand more detectable. Compromise in flexible matters make our rigid adherence to truths even stronger.

We live in a world where preferences and opinions are ever-changing. Let’s be willing to be flexible when we can be, that way we will be respected when we can’t be.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6