Thursday; June 2

If my mom were alive, she and my dad would be celebrating their sixty-fifth wedding anniversary. Even though my mother passed a few years ago, she and my father had a marriage that lasted over fifty-five years. That seems pretty impressive – until I realize that Jeane and I are into our fourth decade together – and that just kind of reminds me that I am not as young as I used to be!

As I look back at my parents’ marriage there are several things they did that provided a foundation for our own relationship:

1. They were friends. To me, this is the most important factor in a lasting marriage. Children come and go … problems persist … we all age; but, the one thing that can remain constant is a lasting friendship. When you enjoy each other’s company you can endure just about anything – and beyond that, it makes life fun.

2. They worked together. My parents had a pretty traditional marriage throughout the years, but no matter what roles they had, when they needed to work together (or help each other out), they did. There were times when my mom worked and my dad cooked. My dad did some of the housework and my mom would make sure I made it to baseball practice. It’s good to have responsibilities, but true love means doing what the family needs done to make it work smoothly.

3. They shared a spirit. Our family went through some challenges. Some were common to families and some where unique to ours. However, through it all, they shared a spiritual bond. We all knew where we were going to be on Sundays, and we all expected to be in heaven after our lives were done. Their religion gave them purpose and got them through the good times and the bad times.
Who are your marriage mentors? Periodically, discuss the principles they passed down to you and who knows, maybe you will reach 65 years together!

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6