Wednesday; February 16

I recently went to a wedding and got to thinking about marriage. This may sound a bit odd (don’t most people think about marriage at a wedding). The answer might not be as obvious as we assume. Typically, as a minister, when I go to a wedding, I am more concerned about making sure everyone is where they are supposed to be and doing what they are supposed to be doing. I get the words right, but all too often, I am more focused on who has the rings than the big picture of being husband and wife. So, this time, as I sat there in the audience I reflected on marriage. As I processed my thoughts and feelings there were certain words that came into focus. The first one was forgiveness. For a long-term relationship to last, the couple must be willing to forgive each other. Interestingly, this more often than not means to forgive the myriad of little things rather than a few big indiscretions. The second was commitment. Most lasting marriages are made more through commitment than by circumstances. It is deciding to stay together that keeps most people together. Finally, teamwork. Much has been made about God’s original teaching on marriage, “For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.” (Genesis 2:24) but the simple truth is that marriages are comprised of team members who are willing to work together and sacrifice for each other.
How is your marriage going? Is it time to recall those three words – or better yet, those other three little words – I Love You?

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6