Tuesday; February 1

The other morning I was standing in front of the microwave waiting for it to warm up some coffee and I had a troubling thought, “Well, that is another minute I will never get back.”. As I look back on that thought, the first thing that comes to mind is how much I have been influenced by instant gratification – it took a whole minute to warm up my coffee. Yet, the thing that really got me to thinking was how much time I waste. While I see the value in “down time” and relaxing, how many minutes, hours, days (and maybe even years) have I wasted doing nothing … or even worse, doing something that is counter-productive? How many hours have I spent watching TV shows I really didn’t like just because that’s what I did? How many hours have I sat around surfing the web just because I didn’t find anything better to do? Please don’t misunderstand me, I am not opposed to watching TV or movies or enjoying the great big wide world of the internet. My problem is doing it out of mere habit with nothing to show for it!

Several years ago, Rick Warren wrote a book entitled, “The Purpose Driven Life”. Folks, is that the theme to our existence? Do we have purpose in what we do? Again, I am not an opponent of rest and relaxation when we benefit from it, our challenge should be to be purposeful in what we do (and when we need to do nothing at all).

Let’s not waste the life we have been given. The Bible warns us, “Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.” (James 4:14). We only have a certain amount of time on this earth, we must utilize it to the fullest.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6