Monday; July 19

During the 1970s Bob Newhart was best known for his role as Robert Hartley, a hip psychologist in Chicago. It wasn’t surprising when Newhart made an appearance in a Comedy Central skit several years later playing another mental health professional – however, what happened in the sketch may have been a bit unusual. When a woman comes to his office looking for advice on overcoming her claustrophobia he gives here some succinct advice – “Stop It!”. Stop being irrational, stop worrying about it, just stop it! She lists a few other issues she’s struggling with and his answer is simple, “Stop It!”. I realize this is humor and borders on insensitivity, but whenever I watch the video clip it reminds me that sometimes to feel better, I just need to stop what is making me feel bad. Whether it is sin, bad habits or irrational thoughts; more than anyone else I am the one who controls my contentment and happiness. Yes, I realize there are people who struggle with mental health issues who need professional support, but there are many others of us who just need to stop doing what makes us feel sad, bad or guilty.
I am thankful for mental health professionals who offer help during those times when we need it, but I need to remember just how much I dictate my joy. Maybe, I just need to stop doing what I have been doing and start doing what I need to be doing.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6