Wednesday; June 23

Most days I have trouble remembering what I had for lunch the day before, but I can tell you where I was fifteen years ago – I was giving our daughter away in marriage. I wasn’t sure how I would react as the father of the bride, but as I look back on that day, I actually think I did a pretty good job. Jeane and I had prayed for the day when she would find someone who made her happy and would be a positive influence in her life. As we watched Amanda and Aaron become husband and wife I felt like we were seeing our hopes unfold before our eyes. Fifteen years later, we are still thrilled with the choice they made.
As I find myself thinking about marriage today, I feel compelled to make a couple of suggestions as to what parents can do to help their children find good spouses. There aren’t all that deep, but I believe they are important:

1. Make marriage look fun and rewarding. There is a lot of negativity in the world about marriage, but honestly, it can bring about a lifetime of joy and fulfillment. When our children see us having fun and talking about how much enjoyment we find in marriage, we lay the foundation for an expectation of a good relationship.

2. Praise, rather than critique your spouse. Home is supposed to be our safe haven – away from the harshness of the world. When we speak kindly of our spouse, not only do we uplift them, we also show the next generation God’s plan for the husbands and wives.
There are times marriage can be difficult, but when we enjoy the good times and stay positive about how it blesses our lives we can restore its reputation. Let’s help defend God’s plan for husbands and wives by showing that when it is done well, it brings joy and contentment.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6