Tuesday; April 20

Are we spending too much time debating the Second Amendment and not enough time discussing the Sixth Commandment?

I am one of those people who can see both sides of the gun argument. Growing up as political conservative, I learned to read and value the United States Constitution. Living in the places where guns were used for hunting and recreation as well as protection, I believe there is a legitimate place for firearms as tools. However, being involved in Law Enforcement for decades has taught me that not everyone should possess a gun. Having consoled families and conducted funerals for people who have died as the result of gun violence, I realize the damage they can do. I get it – on both sides.

We have been arguing about gun issues for decades and I don’t know that we have made a lot of progress. Could it be that we are seeking answers in the wrong place? Maybe the issue isn’t political, maybe it is spiritual. Frankly, illicit killing has been around a lot longer than guns. Cain killed Abel (Genesis 4:8) well before the invention of the first firearm and God’s law that states, “You shall not murder.” (Exodus 20:13) predates the development of automatic weapons. A heart that seeks to kill seems to be more the issue than a weapon that can kill.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not dismissing the political discussions around ways to regulate violence, nor am I choosing one side over the other. What I am advocating is that we need to be teaching people as much about biblical law as we do constitutional law. Let’s teach our children to be kind and respectful and hold each other accountable to God’s law of loving our neighbor. When we prevent the causes of murders (greed, hatred, anger, selfishness, etc.) we can save lives and find more common ground on policy. When we follow the basic tenets of godliness, we just might find the answer to violence in America – and around the world.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6