Monday; November 30

I didn’t do my best the other day. The reason this bugs me is that I knew what was coming and I still didn’t do my best. I was in a situation where I knew what was going to happen. I was going to be put to the test and it was going to take me being on my best game to do what I knew I should do. I knew it would happen – it did happen – and … I didn’t do my best! I think what is frustrating about this is that the situation didn’t sneak up on me, I was planning for it, but I guess I just wasn’t prepared for it. If there is any consolation in this for me it comes in the fact that I am not the only one who has ever been caught in this conundrum. In fact even the Apostle Paul admitted, “For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.” (Romans 7:15). While this rationale does ease some of the sting of the disappointment, I know I need to better, especially when I have a good idea of what is coming. So, how can we be prepared for our tests? Here are a few suggestions:

1. Avoid the test. If we feel like we are going to be overwhelmed by the impending circumstances, there is no shame in running away from a disaster. Sometimes the best choice is avoidance.

2. Practice a response. I think what got me in trouble is that I hadn’t been as prepared as I should have been. I should have rehearsed my response to the point that I was prepared to do with what I should have done.

3. Take a deep breath and think before speaking. I knew the situation was going to put me on the defensive and I was apt to speak too quickly – and that is exactly what happened. I need to do a better job of responding rather than reacting.

Let’s be ready for the challenges we are apt to face. When we are prepared, life will be easier and we will be better.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6