Monday; July 6

I have had the opportunity and the interest to study Constitutional Law during the last several years.  During this time I have learned that I – like all citizens – have the right to worship and assemble in this nation without governmental interference (1st Amendment).  I have discovered that I have the right to own a firearm (2nd Amendment).  I have been assured that the government cannot expose me to cruel or unusual punishment for the crimes I commit (8th Amendment).  I have found that as a citizen of this nation I have equal access under the law (14th Amendment).  When I reflect on all these rights we have, this is a pretty neat place in which to live. 
          I realize the preceding comment can be fodder for debate and discussion these days, but what I hope to get across is that while I have spent a couple of decades studying the United States Constitution, I have spent a lot more time examining the Bible and I have come to a much more important conclusion.  It is nice to live in a nation where we have ample freedoms; however, my real place of citizenship isn’t defined by rights and freedoms, it is all about responsibilities.  As a Christian, I have been called to set aside my rights to promote the well-being of others.  In God’s rule of law, it isn’t about what I can legally do, it is all about what I should be doing spiritually.  In fact, a summery of much of the Bible can be found in the statement, “Therefore if there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.” (Philippians 2:1-4). 
          It is great to be protected by the U. S. Constitution, but we must remember that we will be judged by the Word of God.  Let’s remember that Jesus does not demand that we stand up for our rights, He commands us to reach out in service to others.
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6