Friday; July 10

Several years ago, the comedian Bob Newhart was quoted as saying, “I think you should be a child for as long as you can. I have been successful for 74 years being able to do that. Don't rush into adulthood, it isn't all that much fun.”.  While I haven’t seen an update to his remark, I would imagine the 90-year-old Bob Newhart would probably echo that thought. 
I remember as a child that I couldn’t wait until I grew up; but, now I kind of yearn for those more carefree days.  Those days of going down to the creek and exploring nature.  The afternoons spent bouncing a ball off the side of the house.  The evenings asking to stay outside for just thirty more minutes to get in one last quarter of backyard football.  I realize that nostalgia isn’t really all that accurate, but as I think back on those days and I ponder what makes them so appealing, I wonder if it isn’t that I could always count on being taken care of.  I didn’t have to worry about finances, staying healthy, being somewhere on time or even if there was going to be something to eat and a place to sleep.  All I knew was that I was going to be taken care of that by “someone”.  I trusted that my parents wouldn’t let us down.
What would happen if we recaptured some of that carefree spirit by trusting in God as much as we trusted our parents?  Would life be less stressful if we believed that our Father would take care of us today?  Sure, we have more responsibilities as adults, but wouldn’t it be a breath of fresh air to just be able to relax and trust that “Someone” cares enough for us to make sure we were okay?  Maybe we can work on being mature – but, not quite being all wrapped up in being grown up.
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6