Tuesday; June 9

          Have you noticed how fickle the American attention span can be?  A few months ago the headlines were focused on the impeachment of the president.  Then, for weeks, we were enthralled by news about the impact of COVID-19.  Now, the headlines are filled with stories about civil unrest and social justice.  Unless I miss my guess, within the next couple of weeks, something else will capture the nation’s interest and become the focal point of our attention.  Now, please do not misunderstand me, I believe that each of these topics is important and newsworthy.  My point is that our attention span tends to ebb and flow with the natural impulses of our society. 
          I am no novice this phenomenon.  As a news junkie and history buff I have watched this trend for decades.  What this has told me is that what we need is a quiet, calm theme to get us through the emotional spikes.  We need something that is a common thread that can keep us tethered to peaceful existence. 
When the early church was facing their own emotionally charged times, an early Christian writer observed, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8).  When we are looking for consistency in our world, there is no better place to look than Jesus.  Let’s pray that the Lord will guide our nation through our challenges and difficulties, but let’s also keep our eyes on the King who is always right and righteous.
         Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6