Friday; June 19


          When I was younger, Father’s Day wasn’t nearly as popular as Mother’s Day.  While moms would get flowers and nice cards, dads typically got a tie or whatever gadget happened to be sitting in the most obvious place in the retail store.  Since I know very few fathers who wear ties any more, I am not sure what the go-to gift is these day, but I don’t think it really matters because I can’t ever remember hearing a father complain about they did or didn’t get on Father’s Day.  In fact, come to think of it, I don’t know that I recall any gift I got my dad, but I do remember a couple he gave me ... and I’d like to share a few of them with you.
          First, my dad provided me with the example of being vulnerable.   This may seem a little odd – but, I can explain it.  My folks went through some pretty serious challenges when we were children and, while there were times he just bucked up and did what needed to be done, there were also times when he showed us it was okay to deal with emotions.  As a minister and police officer, he was willing to involve himself in what could be the messy side of life and, while the temptation was to ignore feelings or stuff emotions, he gave us a glimpse of who he was and what it took to stay strong.  My Dad taught me and showed me that people, especially men, need to be able to find ways to process emotions in a healthy manner.  Hopefully, I have been able to share that with my children and others I have worked with.
          Second, my dad provided me with a need to be spiritual.  Spirituality isn’t a sign of weakness, it is where we gain our true power and strength.  Serving God isn’t something we do on Sundays to make mom feel better, it is something we do each and every day to please God!  I learned that you can get through anything with a faith in God, the love of a spiritual family and connection to a church community.
          I hope everyone has a Happy Father’s Day on Sunday.  Oh, and to those of us who are fathers, it might be a good day to ask what legacy we are leaving.
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6