Wednesday; April 8

Not long after our children left home our last pet – a cat named Oreo – left home as well.  I have had dogs for most of my life and we have had other types of pets and livestock throughout the years (including a horse, a pig, rabbits and a guinea pig named Orson); but with the disappearance of Oreo, Jeane put the kibosh on any more pets – well, with one exception.  I am allowed to have fish.  We have an aquarium of tropical fish at the house and I have three betas (aka Siamese fighting fish) at my office named Larry, George and Michael.  While I think a single tank with all three fish in it would look cool, I realize that these guys would not get along with each other.  From what I understand about male betas, they would fight to the death and I wouldn’t have three fish anymore.  Since I like all three of my fish, I keep them in three separate tanks and everyone seems to be content.
Now, the reason I am introducing you to my fish is to relate another observation I have made in my lifetime.  Have you ever noticed that some of our friends and acquaintances don’t get along with each other?  When we interact with them individually, we get along well, but when all of us get together things get ugly.  So, let me ask the obvious question – why do we insist on putting them together?  Wouldn’t it be better to make special time with each person rather than end up with everyone being miserable?  Even if we aren’t the ones who instigates bringing everyone together, we typically have the option of choosing whether or not we want to be involved in the drama.  Maybe the best thing we can do for our own mental health is avoid putting ourselves in that type of a situation and, instead, waiting for a time we can control who is spending time with whom.
Let’s be wise and use our discretion in dealing with people.  I am sure we will learn to relish quality friendships and not miss the chaos one bit.
         Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6