Wednesday; March 11

I have gone on record through the years advocating my love for the game of baseball.  To me, it is the greatest game around.  Its pace, blend of individual effort and teamwork, the fact that it is decided by effort and not a clock makes it an incredible game.  Now, having said all that, I am beginning to lose my zeal for the way the modern game is played.  In an effort to “improve” on the game, things such as a pitch clock, instant replay and high definition graphics have been introduced.  While those promised to enhance the game, it has opened it up to abuse and ridicule.  In an effort to make things better, we are faced with losing the simplicity of a really good game.
The reason I bring this up is to wonder if we are doing something similar with religion.  There is no doubt that God’s religion built upon the simple principles found in His Word is incredible, but what happens when we lose focus of the fundamentals?  What are the results when we place too much emphasis on academia, multi-media and religious traditions?  When we lose our love for the simple truth we are apt to morph religion into something that is less pleasing to God and less valuable for mankind.  Interestingly, this is not just a question for modern man, this has been an issue for the ages.  Centuries ago, God’s people were warned against losing their focus, “With what shall I come to the Lord and bow myself before the God on high?  Shall I come to Him with burnt offerings, with yearling calves? Does the Lord take delight in thousands of rams, in ten thousand rivers of oil?  Shall I present my firstborn for my rebellious acts, he fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?  He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” (Micah 6:6-8). 
Let’s make sure we stay focused on God’s focus.  When we do that, we won’t fail or fall.
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6