Wednesday; February 11

I used to enjoy political humor, but I believe that like so many other things in my life, I am losing my sense of humor.  In days-gone-by I found some good-natured joking to be funny and even good for the national psyche, but the way things have disintegrated I question the value of poking fun at the beliefs of others.  Sure, I would like to think that everyone should be able to endure some good-natured ribbing, but I am not sure that is a good idea any more.  It has become too easy to be perceived as being offensive.  We might say, “Well, they need to learn how to take a joke”, but the point is that others don’t, so our lampoons create divisions.  Additionally, it has become tempting to use divisive humor as a way to vail our disdain for the thoughts and opinions of others.  By using cutting humor, we pretend that we are being funny when in reality we are disrespecting their beliefs.
I doubt that the Apostle Paul had political and social humor in mind when he wrote, “But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints; and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.” (Ephesians 5:3-4), but I think his warning provides us with some guidelines for our conversations.  If we find people who are willing to exchange good-natured banter about politics (or anything else for that matter) that’s great.  However, let’s not assume others will appreciate our sense of humor when it comes to their beliefs.  Let’s remember that our main responsibility is not to share a good joke with someone – our value as people is to share the good news with them.
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6