Friday; May 3

Here is one from the “I Bet You Didn’t Know This” category:  it was on this day in 1978 that the first “spam” (unsolicited bulk commercial email) was sent out.  When I read this, two things crossed my mind:  first, I didn’t realize electronic mail had been around that long and second, I wish we could go back in time and get a do-over on that one.  It seems that each and every day we are bombarded with all kinds of unsolicited information – in our snail mail, email and on our phones.  It has gotten so bad that I am sure I am missing out on a lot of good, legitimate offers just because I don’t pay much attention to anything I don’t originate.
As I got to thinking about “spam” and such, I got to reflecting on how much stimulus we have flooding into our lives and it reminded me of the first time I walked down the Las Vegas Strip – overwhelmed by the volume of what was surrounding me and trying to be especially aware of the really bad stuff mixed in with everything else.  Today, we find ourselves constantly having to be careful and that continual awareness tends to make us cynical and weary.
So, what is the cure for an overstimulated life?  The answer is found in “purpose”.  We cannot control all of the noise and activity swirling around us, but we can be intentional in what we seek and selective in what we allow to infiltrate our filters.  By seeking out things that are good, decent and uplifting, we have a better chance of achieving a less stressful and more productive existence.  Let’s live intentional, purposeful lives and find out just how productive and contented we can become.
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6