Tuesday; April 30

The other day I noticed that someone had attempted to throw something away in the trash can and missed.  It wasn’t anything too obtrusive or disgusting – they just missed the can.  I noticed it, but I didn’t do anything about it.  Then, the next day I noticed that the item was still there – again I noticed it but didn’t do anything about it.  Then the next day ... I am not sure if I even noticed it – oh, it was still there, I just didn’t notice it.  At this point, I think I just came to subconsciously expect that it was supposed to be there and just left it alone.  Today, I finally noticed it again and I realized that the piece of trash was going to be there until I finally did something about it. 
Now, the reason for this discussion on a single piece of trash is to ask how many things have we come to accept just because we didn’t deal with them when we first noticed them?  No, I am not (necessarily) talking about trash I am talking about bad habits, community problems, social immorality, criminal behavior, religious false-teaching and on and on and on.  Unless we are willing to purposefully do something to deal with the things that are wrong, not only will they not be change, they will more than likely become permanent fixtures in our lives and our community.  The Apostle Paul challenges us to be on the lookout for things he calls the works of the flesh by writing, “Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:19-21).  History and logic teach us that if we don’t deal with them early and decisively, they will become accepted parts of our lives, our community and our churches.
Think About It! 

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Thursday; October 19