Thursday; February 28

          President Lyndon Johnson was known as a brilliant politician, but was not often known for his genial nature.  President Johnson was able to get a lot of things done – sometimes through “consensus”, but often by what might be called political intimidation.  LBJ would not take “No” for an answer and would often badger people into doing what he wanted them to do.  President Johnson left a lot of egos in his wake on his path to notoriety.  LBJ really didn’t think much about social graces – he was on a mission to change the world!  When I read about Johnson, I don’t get the warm fuzzies until I start thinking about the environment in which he worked.  He became president as the result of an assassination, he inherited an unpopular war in Viet Nam and in one year (1968) he had to deal with the deaths of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Bobby Kennedy all the while trying to keep the nation from exploding into an uncivil war on civil rights.  As I look back on all the huge issues on his plate, I can see how he wouldn’t be too focused on promptness or niceties.
          As I thought back on President Johnson I got to pondering my own life.  When I am too stressed out about things, could it be that I haven’t set my sights on a high enough goal?  When I worry about the little things, is it because I am not focused on the big ideals – the things that can really make a difference?  While I believe that we should be intentionally kind and considerate, what would happen if we kept our eyes focused on higher prizes?  Rather than worrying about what people think of me and my feelings, what could be done if I was willing to set aside my pettiness and sought a higher purpose?
          Are we worrying too much about things that don’t really matter all that much?  The answer might be found in feeling compelled to pursue the things that can really change lives.
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6