Tuesday; January 22


          Not long ago I was looking at the top of my desk and it looked like it was snowing yellow papers.  Scattered around my desk were several old sticky notes as well as old letters, books, a Diet Coke bottle and several bottle caps.  While I have never the been the neatest person in the world, one of the places this had become the most notable was on my desk.  The reason this caught my attention was a quote that I had seen from Audrey Thomas, “Clutter is a result of delayed decisions.”.  I had heard a lot of adages about clutter – everything from it being a sign of genius to it being a symbol of disarray, but as I reflected on her observation I got to thinking how true it was.  The reason for most of the clutter wasn’t (necessarily) that I was messy, it was that I just hadn’t followed through with what needed to be done with the items.  I hadn’t returned this phone call, I hadn’t filed that  letter, I hadn’t finished that book.  My messy desk was the result of my procrastination and lack of follow-through.
          While this observation prompted me to clean up my desk, it got me to thinking about all the clutter in our lives.  Do we have uncompleted thoughts, ideas and plans?  If so, why?  Is it because we can’t finish them and bring them through to fruition or is it that we just never get around to making the decision to do something about them?  Our emotional clutter (that often leads to feelings of anxiety and a sense of being overwhelmed) can be eased by making a plan and following through.
          Are we feeling discombobulated?  Maybe today is the day to “do” something about it.
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6