Friday; June 15

I love my granddaughters for so many reasons, but one of the most tangible is because they help me to focus.  It is easy for me to get so used to doing what I do and saying what I say without giving it a second thought, but often they reel me back in by making me explain what I do and what I say.  Take, for example, the other day I was talking about someone being ornery and one of the girls asked, “Grandpa, what does it mean to be ornery?”.  Try explaining that to a youngster without using phrases such as “crabby”, “crusty” or an “old coot”!  I struggled to explain what ornery meant and I am not sure that they really understood much better after I attempted to define it.  Then, several days later, I think I came across the definition of being ornery – one from the Bible.  The Wise King wrote, “Do not contend with a man without cause, if he has done you no harm.” (Proverbs 3:30) – that is just flat being ornery.    Orneriness is being adversarial without cause.  It is fussin’ and fuedin’ for no good reason. 
Now that we know what it means, how do we avoid it?  The answer comes from having a positive, supportive spirit.  It is being hospitable and harmonious.  Simply, it is putting another person’s spirit ahead of our own desire to be cantankerous!
Are we being ornery?  It can be confusing our young people and unwise in the sight of our God.
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6