Friday; May 11

I lost my Mom a couple of years ago to cancer, but that doesn’t mean that she isn’t still with me.  In fact, much of who I have become came from the influence she had on me.  Even though she is no longer living, I still carry some of the lessons she taught me, such as:
1.  I have value as a person.   I never had to wonder if someone loved me – I knew my Mom did. Interestingly, she didn’t love me because I was a High School baseball player or a college graduate or a preacher – she loved me for me.  It wasn’t what I did that made her proud of me, she was proud of me because of who I was.  As I look around and see how many people struggle with wondering if people respect them I am thankful that this was one less thing I had to worry about.  Mom believed I was someone and let everyone know it. 
2.  I have a responsibility as a person.  The same mother who provided me with a positive self-esteem also worked to keep me level-headed.  She reminded me of my need to treat people with respect (even her and especially Jeane).  She made sure that I was well versed in manners and conducted myself appropriately in public.  As I think back on the years, her caution to “be yourself” and “be polite” have allowed me to easily move between social groups, navigate lighthearted parties and be useful in intense crisis events. 
          When the Apostle Paul looked at a young minister by the name of Timothy he recalled, “For I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am sure that it is in you as well.”. (II Timothy 1:5) I hope that when people see me they can spot my Mom’s influence on me.  If they do, that is a tribute to her – if not, that is a failure that rests solely on me.
          What has your Mom meant to your life?  Why not take the time to tell her this weekend!
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6