Tuesday; April 17

Right about this time each year I have to have a little talk with myself.  Since I typically have to “pay in” on my tax responsibilities, I am not one of the ones who files their taxes any earlier than necessary.  Hey if the mid-April deadline is good enough for them, it is good enough for me.  Sometime around April 15 each year I have to remind myself how I benefit from paying taxes.  When I look at the amount I pay, I have to stop and think about where my money goes.  No, I don’t crack open the federal budget, but I do look around and see the value I get for what I pay.  Not only do I receive benefits such as infrastructure, protection and security, but a portion of what I pay helps others.  In a sense, by paying taxes I can do a little good for the people around me who can’t do it on their own.
As I thought about this, I got to thinking about my contribution to the church.  Sure, I realize the Christian obligation that comes with Paul’s message to the Corinthian church , “On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come.” (I Corinthians 16:2), but that also leads me to understanding the concept of taking up a congregational offering.  Not only do our gifts provide a place for me and my family to worship, these donations also help fund opportunities for missions and ministries.  The money I give helps others who have spiritual and physical needs.  When we all demonstrate a spirit of generosity we ease the burden others are feeling.
Let’s be thankful we have income that can be taxed.  Let’s also thank God that we have the ability to give – both directly and as a part of a local congregation.
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6