Wednesday; November 15

What do fishing and farming have in common?  Patience!
I like to fish … well, let me rephrase that, I like to catch fish.  There is nothing more fun than getting into a school of fish or finding a honey hole and catching one fish after another.  Now, having said that, I can only throw a lure into the water for a short period of time if the fish aren’t biting before becoming bored.  I know several people who can sit and wait for hours, expecting the next moment will produce a whopper, but I am not one of those people.  (Oh, by the way, when it comes to ice fishing, my patience reduces with the temperature.)   Along the same line, I would be a terrible farmer because I think I would have trouble awaiting the germinating and growing process.  When I have planted a garden in the past my impatience has translated a hobby into a headache.  Rationally, I know that things don’t mature overnight, but when it comes to horticulture logic has little to do with it.
This insight into my deficiencies has a point – sometimes I experience a similar response when it comes to doing good.  It is easy for me to have good intentions about doing good works, but it is easy to grow weary when things don’t develop as quickly as I’d like.  Whether in evangelism, spiritual development, church growth … or whatever else patience may be a virtue, but it isn’t a given!
The Apostle Paul was speaking to me when he encouraged, “ But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary of doing good.”. (I Thessalonians 3:13)  I need to remember that some things take time and nothing done in the name of God ever returns void.  Let’s be willing to put in the work for God and allow Him the time to bless our efforts. 
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6