Wednesday; August 16

As a youngster I learned several life-lessons, but one of the most painful was that the world didn’t revolve around me.  I am sure that there were several ways I was taught this lesson, but one of the most compelling was the lack of celebrations of my accomplishments.  Now, I want to say that I grew up with a supportive family, but even they didn’t see just how great I was.  They may have cheered when I got the game-winning hit in my Little League game, but they didn’t erect a monument to it in our front yard!  My parents were pleased when I got my driver’s license, but they didn’t go out and buy me a new Pontiac Firebird.  They were excited when I went away to college, but their lives didn’t stop just because I left home to attend school thousands of miles away.
As I reflect upon this lesson a couple of things come to mind:   First, we should be celebrating the accomplishments of those around us.  Not only is it a good thing to highlight another person’s successes, it gives us a reason to look outside ourselves.  Recognizing (in an age-appropriate way) the victories of others creates an spirit of cooperation and joy within any organization – whether it is a family, business or even a church.  Second, we need to realize that we view our personal accomplishment through jaded lenses.  Just because something is important to me doesn’t mean that it carries the same weight with others.  Sure, there is nothing wrong with sharing our victories with our closes allies, but we must remember not to take it personally when they don’t apply the same weight to them as do we.  If they want to celebrate it with us that’s great, but let’s not pout if they don’t.
          Celebrating success is necessary for individuals and groups.  Are we looking out for others?  Are we experiencing the joy in our own lives?
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Thursday; October 19