Tuesday; June 27

Perspective is an interesting thing.  In fact, our perspective is a glimpse into our hearts.  Even if accepted as being true, these statements may seem to be a bit vague, so let me see if I can explain what I mean by asking a couple of questions:  When considering our wife’s birthday gift, do we ask, “What would I like to give her?” or “What would she like to get from me?”.  When we want to go somewhere special with our children, do we plan to do something we’d like to do with them or something they would like us to do with them?  When we consider the value we bring to the church, do we set out to accomplish what we can do for Christians or do we evaluate what the church (and its members) need from us? 
Selflessness has a variety of layers, but the most humble is when we empty ourselves of “me” and truly focus on “others”.   Spiritual service doesn’t ask “what can I do for them” as much as it seeks “what they need me to do for them”.  Yes, on one hand it might seem like a matter of semantics, but it also requires that we consider the motivation for our actions.  True servants don’t seek ways to insert their will into the lives of others, they first figure out the needs of others then find the personal talents to fulfill those deficits.
Whether in acts of charity, church attendance, enhancing relationships, developing fellowship or whatever else, if we want to make the biggest difference (and the most memories) we need to remind ourselves that it isn’t about me.  It isn’t about what I want to be doing, it is what I should be doing.

          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6